Hi, Guys! (Well, you know, “guys”: meaning slang for mostly gals haha)
I’m starting a series of mascara reviews, and I wanted to do a post sharing my points system. I did a video recently, asking you guys what is important to you when it comes to mascaras–and you guys gave me some REALLY good suggestions. Thank you so much! I decided on a 100 point system to base my reviews on, with each category ranging from 5 to 10 points–with categories for everything from the packaging to the pigmentation to how easy it is to get it off at the end of the day.
So, here are the categories and the points I assigned to each one:
1. Price/How easy is it to get our hands on this mascara? 0-10 possible points
2. Packaging/Brush: 0-10 possible points
3. Formula/Bonus Features/Claims made by the company about this mascara: 0-5 possible points
4. Color Pigmentation/Variety of Colors Offered: 0-5 possible points
5. Application/Ease of Use/Gets into Base of Lashes: 0-10 possible points
6. Smudging/Transfer/Wear/Clumpiness/Spiderlash (good or bad)/Irritates Eyes: 0-10 possible points
7. Separation: 0-10 possible points
8. Volumizing: 0-10 possible points
9. Lengthening: 0-10 possible points
10. Curling/Holds a Curl: 0-10 possible points
11. Easy to Get Off (at the end of the day): 0-10 possible points
All of these add up (of course) to a total of 100 points. So, from there I came up with a grading system from A-F…
A+= 100 – 91 points
A= 90 – 80 points
B= 79 – 70 points
C= 69 – 60 points
D= 59 – 50 points
F= 49 – 0 points
I think it’s pretty fair–there’s no way that a mascara is going to get below 50 points! No “F’s” in this bunch (I hope!) But yeah, I wanted to start with that. Now, let’s get to the fun part!!! The first mascara I reviewed for this series was the Smoky Extravagant Mascara from Make Up Forever…
Smoky Extravagant Mascara (Make Up Forever)
1. Price/Ease of Purchase: 6/10
2. Packaging/Wand: 7/10
3. Formula/Claims/Bonus Features/Serums: 4/5
4. Color Pigmentation & Variety: 4/5
5. Application/Easy to Apply/Gets in Base: 5/10
6. Transfer/Smudge/Clump/Spiderlash/Irritation: 8/10
7. Separation: 2/10
8. Volumizing: 10/10
9. Lengthening: 5/10
10. Curling/Holds Curl: 0/10
11. Easy to Get Off (at the end of the day): 10/10
Total Points: 61/100 “C”
If you would like to see why this mascara scored how it did, please feel free to check out the video I posted to YouTube about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmV1HxYPo8E
All in all, Smoky Extravagant is a decent-ish mascara. The reason it scored poorly was really about the claims that MUFE makes about how it performs–I was expecting Volume, Length, and Curl out of this. It does provide quite a bit of volume–but it is by no means the most lengthening or curling mascara I have ever used. It does not separate my lashes at all–but it doesn’t claim to–so I don’t expect it.
The other main issue I have with this mascara is the price. It is expensive, no doubt. I don’t mind paying for a higher-end mascara ( I gladly pay more for mascaras like YSL Babydoll and Armani Eyes to Kill), but this one just doesn’t seem to warrant the higher price tag. Now, I did get this as a free sample from Sephora–I’m going to use it up. I actually like using as the third step in my typical daily mascara routine (primer, then separating mascara, finished with a volumizing formula). So, it’s all good to me!
As with everything like this, these reviews are based solely on my opinion. I have really short, stumpy lashes that need a lot of help. A lot of other people really seem to like this mascara–when I was doing my research for the formula/claims portion of this review I saw that it had a 4.5 out of 5 stars on Sephora’s website. I’m not trying to dissuade you from buying it, I’m just giving those who are looking for it my opinion. If you have this mascara, I would love to hear your thoughts on it!
My next review will be on a really popular (and double-ended) drugstore mascara…
As always, hope you’re having a yummy day or night!